Happy New Year!! Hopefully 2016 is off to a terrific start. Maybe the last couple of weeks have been filled with family visits, traveling or overindulgence. Maybe you are doing everything you can to keep your head above water. Regardless of how 2016 has started, get motivated to exercise and make this year your best yet!
Sometimes it’s hard to get motivated. Over the last three weeks, I have been completely unmotivated to exercise. Prior to Thursday, I didn’t workout in 22 days. Why? Maybe my body needed a break; maybe my mind needed a break. Regardless of the reason, it happened and I don’t feel guilty. But this week I decided it’s time to get back on track. I’ve picked my peak and started my trek. Have you?
What motivates someone to do something?
I believe the following motivates you:
1. Pleasure. Things that make you feel good will motivate you. Exercise makes you feel good about yourself and how you perceive yourself. So get out and exercise. You deserve to experience pleasure in your world.
2. Pain. Some are driven by pain. If something hurts, you want it to stop. To make the pain go away, you need to do choose a different course. Garner Ted Armstrong once said, “The rewards for those who persevere far exceed the pain that must precede the victory.” Your rewards are waiting for you. Are you for the pain go away?
How can you get motivated to exercise?
Use these simple tools to get you motivated:
1. Start small. Lose 1-2 pounds this week. Get your heart rate up for 30-45 minutes 2-3 times this week. Eat well one meal at a time. Once your small trek becomes habitual, make your trek more challenging and set your sights on your next peak.
2. Pay for it. When you use your hard earned money and pay for a service, you are more likely to keep a commitment. Whether it’s a gym membership, personal trainer or fitness package, use it to motivate you.
3. Important events. Do you have a family wedding, want to get pregnant, are currently pregnant, or have an upcoming class reunion that means a lot to you? Put the event on your calendar, start the countdown and get motivated to look and feel your best.
Your trek can begin today. Pick you peak, start your trek and reach your summit. Enjoy the pleasure (and muscle pain) that you experience so that you can proclaim victory at the top.
Niccole Maurici, University Park mom of four and former certified personal trainer, is the co-founder and creator of the StrongestMom.com? website and fitness videos, which promote values important to moms: encouragement, support, positive thinking, and dedication. To learn more visit our website strongestmom.com.