We have been on a Burrito Binge lately and my family requested Beef Barbacoa. Here is my version for the crockpot.
Also, get out the blender so you don't have to chop.
Crockpot Beef Barbacoa
- 3-5 lbs chuck roast
- 1/2c chicken or beef broth (water is fine too)
- 1 medium size lime - peeled
- 1 onion - chopped in quarters
- 4 garlic gloves
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (7oz can is typical in hispanic section of grocery store)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano (mexican if you have it)
- 1 tsp ground cloves
Put the meat in the crockpot. Some recipes call to sear it first, but I didn't. Pour the 1/2c broth (or water) on top of meat.
Peel the lime. If you were juicing it, you would need 1/4 cup
In the blender:
Add the peeled lime, onion, garlic, peppers ( I used 1/2 a can and also put in 1/2 of the adobo sauce from the can), cumin, oregano, cloves and a 1/4c of water to liquify.
After blending, stir in the vinegar. Pour this over the meat.
Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the meat and use a slotted spoon to serve into your tacos or burritos.
Saffie Leedy Farris
Help us build a connected community by inviting your neighbors and friends to BubbleLife. Click here to send an email invitation.