Juniors Angel Food Cake and Icing
1 ¾ cups of egg whites – 12 to 14 eggs
1 ½ teaspoons of cream tartar
1 ¼ cups sifted cake flour
1 ¾ sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1. In large bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature -
about 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375F.
3.Sift flour with 3/4 cup sugar; resift 3 times. Set aside.
4. At high speed, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until
soft peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
5. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after
each addition. Continue beating egg whites until stiff peaks form when
beaters are slowly raised.
6. With wire whisk or rubber scraper, gently fold vanilla and almond
extracts into egg whites until combined.
7. Sift one fourth of flour mixture over egg whites. With wire whisk
or rubber scraper, using an under-and-over motion, gently fold flour
mixture into egg whites, using 15 strokes and rotating bowl a quarter
of a turn.
8. Continue sifting and folding rest of flour rest of flour mixture
(one fourth at a time) into egg whites.
9. Then fold an additional 10 strokes, so that flour mixture is
completely blended into egg whites.
10. With rubber scraper, gently push batter into an ungreased
10-inch tube pan. With spatula or knife cut through batter twice.
11. Spread batter evenly in pan until it is smooth on top and
touches side of pan all around.
12. Bake on lowest oven rack, 35 or 40, or until cake tester
inserted in center comes out clean.
13. Invert pan over neck of bottle; let cake cool completely - about 2 hours.
WHITE CLOUD ICING
2 EGG WHITES
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
In a small bowl, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Gradually add
sugar, continuously beating until soft peaks form. In small saucepan,
heat corn syrup just to boiling. Pour in thin stream over egg whites,
Continuing to beat until frosting is stiff. This takes several minutes. Beat
in vanilla. Spread on cooled cake. Frosts 13x9-inch or 2-layer cake.
This is Robert's favorite