The recipe called for a green bean called fatty horse, but I used whatever is in the store that looks fresh.
- Beans - 2.5 lbs trimmed and cut to 2" pieces
- Bacon - 1/2lb into cut into 1" pieces
- Onion - Yellow thinly sliced
- Sugar - 3 tablespoons
- Water - Quart
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a large pot, until crisp - This takes about 10 minutes
- Add onion and cook until soft, stirring often
- Add water, sugar, salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes
- Add Beans and increase heat to bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered until very tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Season with Salt and Pepper