- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter - ( I prefer olive oil and use 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (because one of my kids has a dairy allergy, I skip this step all together or put shaved Parmesan on the table.
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Bring 4 cups water and salt to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in polenta; whisk constantly until mixture is smooth and begins to thicken. They cook like grits - you have to watch.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender and thickened but still creamy, stirring often, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in butter (or olive oil) and Parmesan cheese if desired. Add paprika.
- Season with salt and pepper
Saffie Leedy Farris
The Only Modern Newspaper Read & Shaped By Your Local Community.
Now in more than 250 communities in 25 major cities.