This is an easy recipe and everyone loves it.
- 1 3/4 sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1.5 cups of sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Cook until the sugar is dissolved - about 4 minutes.
- Raise the heat and bring to a boil without stirring. Wash down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in water to keep the sugar from crystalizing on the sides.
- Keep cooking until 230 degrees with a candy thermometer - about 5 minutes.
Simultaneously, in the electric mixer with the whisk attachment:
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks - about 3 minutes on medium.
- Slowly add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Reduce speed to medium low.
When the syrup gets to 230 degrees, remove from heat. Slowly pour syrup down the side of the bowl in a steady stream while the mixer is at medium low.
Put the mixer on medium and beat until cool, thick and shiny - about 7 minutes. Add the vanilla and use immediately.
Saffie Leedy Farris
The Only Modern Newspaper Read & Shaped By Your Local Community.
Now in more than 250 communities in 25 major cities.