Saffie's Tortilla Soup
Wonderful recipe for Fall
This is a wonderful soup to make for large crowds. I usually serve this with a salad using the sweet and sour dressing (Stacey's).
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 package of celery
- 1 carton Chicken Broth
- 1 t Knorr Chicken Bouillon
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 T Cumin
- 1 T Ancho Chili Pepper ( Penzey's Mail Order)
- 1 t Chipotle Ground Red Pepper (Penzey's Mail Order)
- 6-8 Cans of RoTel Tomatoes - I usually get 2 Original, 2 Chunky and 2 Hot
- 1 7oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 28oz can Bush's Bake Beans (optional)
TOPPINGS: Shredded Cheese, Scallions, Doritos, Avocado, Sour Cream
Sauté onion, garlic and celery in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of stock pan. Add carton of chicken broth, chicken and make sure the chicken is covered with liquid (use water if needed). Add Chicken Bouillon and Balsamic Vinegar and Bay Leaves. Bring to a boil and cook chicken until it is done.
Take the chicken out and cut into small pieces. Return to the stock after cutting...
Add: Chili Pepper, Red Pepper, Cumin, Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes
Cut up Tortillas into tiny strips and put in soup. Add can of Bush's Beans (optional). Simmer and Serve with Toppings..
NOTE: I buy my spices from Penzey's Mail Order. Penzey, now has a store in Dallas at Preston and LBJ.