The Junior Group of the Dallas Garden Club held its annual Christmas Coffee on December 2nd, 2016 at the home of Alan Engstrom. The Club is led by President Allison Vanderwoude, and this year’s Christmas Coffee Chairman was Natalie Lesikar. Committee members for the event included Jessica Barnett, Molly Carson, Madeline Elliott, Caroline Estes, Caroline Quisenberry, Meredith Sirchio and Beth Smith.
The Christmas Coffee is the club’s way of celebrating the holiday season as well as showcasing the talents of their new members. The theme of this year’s event was "Santa on the Silver Screen." Each new member chose a holiday film and was tasked to design a holiday decoration that embodies the film. Some of the films chosen included Frosty the Snowman, The Polar Express, Home Alone, Babes in Toyland, Meet Me in Saint Louis, The Nutcracker, and The Muppet Christmas Carol.
During the event, guests enjoyed coffee, spiced tea, and light bites catered by Joanne Korges with 108 Catering, while enjoying the decorations on display. The new members for 2016-2017 are: Carron Batt, Peyton Blackwell, Jennifer Carter, Elizabeth Conroy, Stephanie Dean, Kristen Dillavou, Ashley Duncan, Courtney Gauthreaux, Molly George, Elizabeth Grady, Emily Keller, Sara Matlock, Katherine McCaslin, Sloan Milton, Lauren Perella, Susan Pohl, Molly Ray, Jane Rozelle, Suzanna Rubottom, Kate Ryan, Laura Steele, Annie Stull, Meredith Turner, Catherine Woodall, Leslie Woodall and Sara Woodall.
A panel of judges scored each of the entries and the following awards were given:
- Mrs. Luke F. Pohl (Susan Bryant) – Sandra Heaberlin Saalfield Past Judges Award for the Highest Scoring Blue Ribbon
- Mrs. Edward A. Batt (Carron Jaeggli) – Mrs. Jack R. Swain, Jr. Award for Best of Show
- Mrs. Cody Grady (Elizabeth Paschall) – Dorothy Brown Herkimer Award for the Most Creative Entry
- Mrs. Eric C. Steele (Laura Bloede) – Mary Ann Denton Award for the Most Original Entry
- Mrs. R. Willing Ryan, III (Kate McEvoy) – Prissy Davis Gravely Award for Most Distinctive Entry
- Miss Jane Rozelle – Mrs. G. Michael Boswell Award for the Best Entry Including Fresh Flowers
- Mrs. Chase R. Woodall (Leslie Herwig) – Mary Jo Long Rauscher Award for the Best Interpretation of Theme
- Mrs. Matthew R. Ray (Molly Myers) – Mrs. Maurice E. Moore Award Celebrating the 75 Years of the Dallas Garden Club
- Mrs. Robert H. Clark, Jr. (Meredith Magers) – Gigi Griffiths Hill Award for an Active Member Most Giving of her time to the Christmas Coffee Behind the Scenes
- Mrs. John S. Lesikar (Natalie Metzger) – Mary Elizabeth Williams Award for the Christmas Coffee Chairman and the Dallas Garden Club Award for the Christmas Coffee Chairman
Judges for the event included Dallas Garden Club members Sandra Avrea, Sally Cullum, Rita Duncan, Jan Myers, Susan Nowlin, Kittye Peeler and Donna Vanderwoude, and Junior Group of the Dallas Garden Club past president Missy Saalfield.
The Junior Group of the Dallas Garden Club was federated in 1946 and holds membership in National Garden Clubs, Inc. South Central Region, Texas Garden Clubs, Inc. District X, North Dallas Garden Forum and Dallas Council of Garden Clubs. The club meets monthly to discuss gardening and flower arranging, and other annual activities include a couples cocktail party, a children’s Halloween party, a philanthropy project at Dallas Heritage Village, and an Annual Flower Show and High Tea, which will take place on Thursday, April 6th, 2017.