Saw a Suburban loaded down with their college-bound child's personal belongings.  A trailer was in tow, and even a mattress was tied to the roof.   I've received a number of calls over the last few weeks about whether their college student's personal belongings were covered under parents' homeowners insurance or whether RENTERS insurance was necessary.   Most homeowners policies extend coverage to personal property away from the primary residence.  Of course a deductible applies and some of these policies have special limits in the fine print of the contract.   My advice is to contact your insurance agent and confirm coverage or not, and how much.   As more and more students are taking laptop computers to school, consider a Personal Articles policy that specifically insures the computer.  A typical laptop should cost less than $50.00 per year to insure with NO DEDUCTIBLE.  

Brent Cooper, Agent
State Farm Insurance
214 987-1995

Serving the Insurance needs of the Dallas Neighborhoods of University Park, Highland Park, Lake Highlands, Preston Hollow, Oakcliff, and Coppell.

Recognize 6247 Views
Related Posts