The Lake Highlands YMCA broke ground today on a large renovation and expansion project that will add more than 15,000 new square feet to the branch, expand the capacity of the parking lot by 68% and renovate existing areas to serve more members of the community through an expanded array of programs and services.
New amenities include:
- A larger fitness center which will triple the amount of space, expand cardio and strength equipment and expand personal training offerings to members.
- Two new dedicated large studios for group exercise including kickboxing, yoga, Pilates, Zumba and classes geared for Active Older Adults. In addition to expanding the formats of classes offered, more classes will be added throughout the week, doubling the number of classes to choose from.
- A dedicated state-of-the-art cycle studio with over 30 cycles offering the Les Miles “The Trip” program, a unique cycling experience.
- A new, expanded child care room which improves the quality of our ChildWatch services to take care of children while their parent(s) work out. In addition, this new space will allow us to separate the children into young and older age groups to provide more age appropriate activities and equipment.
- A renovated basketball gym.
- Renovated locker rooms and additional family change rooms.
- Added seating areas throughout the Y for members to congregate with fellow members of the community.
The branch will remain open during this project with construction expected to be complete by the end of 2020. Phase I of this project, expanding the indoor pool to a six-lane, heated pool that will allow for additional swim lessons, swim team water aerobics, recreational swim and lap swim for members and participants is underway, with the pool expected to open by June 2020.
“In addition to the physical growth in our facility, we will also expand our community-based programs including but not limited to youth sports, teen leadership, drowning prevention programs and more,” said Brian Haines, Executive Director, Lake Highlands YMCA. “Our vision is that the Lake Highlands YMCA will be one of the fastest growing YMCA’s in the country over the next few years. Now in our 20th year of serving the Lake Highlands community, we are excited to make the improvements that will make this a state-of-the-art facility that will allow us to continue serving the area for years to come.”
Today’s groundbreaking coincides with the YMCA Day of Giving, an annual one-day event that provides an opportunity to give to your local YMCA and have an impact on the community. The YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas has a goal of raising $225,000 during this one-day event, with the Lake Highlands YMCA hoping to raise $11,000. Donate today by visiting ymcadayofgiving.org. In addition, the Lake Highlands YMCA has a goal of raising $1 million to support Phase III of this project, the addition of an outdoor pool and splash pad that would open in the summer of 2021. Donations and partnership inquiries can be made to Brian Haines at email@example.com or John Nitardy, Senior Vice President of Advancement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“The YMCA is a place for everyone, regardless of age, background, fitness level or ability to pay. We currently serve 250,000 people each year in diverse communities within Dallas and surrounding cities in 8 counties, but we want to do more. We are laser focused on expanding our services to serve more people and address pressing community health and wellness needs in Dallas and beyond,” said Curt Hazelbaker, President and CEO of the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas.
The Lake Highlands expansion is the first in a multi-year, strategic growth strategy by the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas. Its Board of Directors and leadership plan to renovate existing YMCA locations and partner with new communities to significantly expand the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas’ footprint with new or expanded programs or by building facilities. This comprehensive approach will enable the Y to serve more people across the community.
About the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas
The Y is one of the nation’s leading nonprofits strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas serves thousands of men, women and children each year, regardless of age, income or background. Anchored in 21 North Texas communities, the Dallas Y has the long-standing relationships and physical presence not just to promise, but to deliver, lasting personal and social change. The Y ensures all people have equitable access to the essentials needed to become thriving members of the community. Daily, the Y bridges and fills individual and community needs as a catalyst for impactful change. The YMCA makes accessible the support and opportunities that empower people and communities to learn, grow and thrive, with three areas of focus: Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. To learn more or get involved in improving our local communities, have opportunities to make an impact and support your neighbors, please visit us at www.ymcadallas.org.