Jolie Humphrey and Josey Kennington, Chairs | Kim and David McDavid, Jr., Honorary Chairs
Venise Stuart, President, AWARE
The iconic Statler in downtown Dallas set the scene for the AWARE AFFAIR Celebrate the Moments – A Modern American Evening by welcoming an old friend to pose for photos with the crowd. As an homage to Llinda Lee Llama, the real llama, Hollywood and Broadway star who was a guest at The Statler at the invitation of then hotel owner Conrad Hilton during the 1959 Neiman Marcus Fortnight, two llamas from Shangri Llama joined the swish crowd in selfies and photo ops and lent their smiles to the beginning of a festive and fun evening.
Gala chairs Jolie Humphrey and Josey Kennington took the celebration a step further with the JoJo signature cocktail mixed with a special recipe including Elderflower liqueur from donor GLASS vodka in a commemorative brass cup, which was so popular, it sold out early in the evening.
AWARE is a Dallas-based charity founded in 1989 that has donated over $12,750,000 toward its mission of fighting Alzheimer’s disease by providing funding and support to programs, projects, and research provided by nonprofit organizations and public entities that actively help all individuals affected by Alzheimer’s disease in Dallas and the greater north Texas area.
Guests mingled and bidding was competitive on the fabulous silent auction items accompanied by musicians from the trio L’Aquestra. AWARE president, Venise Stuart welcomed the crowd and introduced The Reverend Nicole Bates from Westminster Presbyterian Church for the invocation.
The savory three-course dinner included a first course of profound microgreens, second course of NY strip with a Szechuan steak sauce and poached shrimp with mushroom trio, finished off with individual dessert plates of cream puffs, smoked chocolate ganache brownies and pumpkin cheesecake.
Emcee Ron Corning began the evening welcoming everyone, thanking underwriters and introducing honorary chairs Kim and David McDavid, Jr. via an emotional video portraying her story of being diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s disease. They were joined on stage by Jolie and Josey, who through tears and hugs were presented with a lovely crystal host gift.
Crystal gifts were also presented to honorees BvB Dallas, the powder-puff football game and fundraiser young professionals support group for their efforts over the past nine years raising over $3.5 million and recruiting over 1,000 volunteers to help with Alzheimer’s research and care in North Texas. The memory of Frances B. Chantilis, was honored by her family, Cheryl and Sam Chantilis, M.D.; Stephanie and Bennie Bray, as they joined the chairs on stage.
A touching video shared the story of Amy Osler, AWARE’s Spirit of Education Leader, the namesake of the Amy Osler Spirit of Education Leadership Award. She became involved with AWARE a few years ago shortly after she was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. Amy has used her public speaking background and her story to help bring about awareness of this horrible disease. She and her husband, Greg, were joined on stage by Holly Hull Miori, recipient of the 2018 award. The award is given to an AWARE member who has demonstrated a high level of leadership in educating members and the general public about AWARE, its mission and Alzheimer’s disease.
Acknowledgment was also given to the Myrna D. Schlegel/AWARE Scholarship Fund, which for over two decades has awarded scholarships to nursing students from Baylor and Texas Women’s University to further their studies in the field of gerontology, especially dementia.
Some seen in the crowd included Stacey and Charles Angel, Janet and Jack Broyles, Carla and Pat Hrncir, Bart Humphrey, Craig Kennington, Chris and Clark Kennington, Evelyn Ponder, Penny Reid and Thomas Nolan, Dyann Skelton, Therese and Chris Rourk, Carol Stabler, Larry Stuart, Sharon Walker and more.
After a spirited live auction which included David McDavid, Jr. auctioning off his purple jacket – being the signature color representing Alzheimer’s awareness – guests finalized their silent auction bids and danced the night away to tunes spun by DJ Steffi Burns.
Membership in AWARE is open to the public and more information is available by visiting the website at AWAREDallas.org
2018 AWARE Grant Recipients are:
- Baylor Health Care System Foundation – Support for the salary of a Ph.D. Neuropsychology Intern for Baylor AT&T Memory Center.
- Center for BrainHealth - Discovery Group - Support for the Discovery Group, a program designed to help individuals and families affected by Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias focus on preserving abilities and tapping strengths to promote meaningful engagement and slow the progression of the disease.
- Dallas Museum of Art - Memory Moments – Support for teaching honorariums, supplies, and staffing for Memory Moments, a program designed to provide participants with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias ways to engage in art that are revitalizing and gratifying.
- Jewish Family Service - Support for the salary of a Clinical Social Worker to provide independent living services to adults with Alzheimer’s and related dementias and their families/caregivers.
- Juliette Fowler Communities – Support for group and individual therapy sessions with a Certified Music Therapist for memory care residents, and to help purchase additional instruments and therapeutic tools.
- NorthPark Presbyterian Church - Casa de Vida – Support the Casa de Vida program, which gives relief to families/caregivers by providing one-on-one care to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias at the church for programs involving art, music, games, and lunch one day per week from 9:30 until 1:30.
- Texas Winds Musical Outreach - Support for two concerts by professional musicians in 87 nursing homes and adult daycare facilities that serve individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- Presbyterian Communities & Services Foundation - Broad Strokes – Support for the Broad Strokes program at Grace Presbyterian Village that provides music and art therapy to residents with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- The Senior Source - Senior Companions - Support for the Senior Companion Program matching volunteers with individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and their families needing assistance with meals, light housekeeping, and companionship.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center - Support to advance Dr. Roger Rosenberg’s research and clinical trials on a DNA Vaccine to clear amyloid plaques in the brain to prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The Myrna D. Schlegel AWARE Scholarship Fund - Recipients are Nora Drutz-Rogney, Baylor University; Lindsay Ross, Texas Christian University.
Special thanks was also given to Patron Party hosts D’Andra Simmons Lock and her husband, Jeremy Lock, for opening up their wonderful home to underwriters just a few days earlier.
Beverage sponsors also included Oak Cliff Cellars, Highland Park Scotch Whiskey, J.R. Ewing Bourbon, Lakewood Brewing Co. ROXOR Artisan Gin and Tequila Partida.
Media Sponsors are PaperCity Magazine, The Park Cities News/The Waters Family, MySweetCharity, and Downtown Business News.
The Dallas Foundation, a 501(c)(3) publicly supported charity, is the fiscal sponsor of AWARE. For more information please visit the website at AWAREDallas.org
About AWARE: The Dallas Foundation, a 501(c)(3) publicly supported charity, is the fiscal sponsor of AWARE. In partnership with the Foundation, AWARE conducts an annual grant application review process resulting in the selection of the most exemplary nonprofit organizations working on the front lines in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease in Dallas and the North Texas region. AWARE provides funding and support to these outstanding groups that offer services, programs, education, and resources to those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, their families and caregivers, and to organizations doing valuable research to find a prevention and cure. Since its founding in 1989, AWARE has donated over $12,750,000 towards this cause.
About The Statler: The Statler is a modern-day redevelopment of a landmark Dallas hotel set to open in 2017. Opening its doors for the first time in 16 years, The Statler will feature a luxury boutique hotel and residences, with restaurants, nightlife, boutique retail, meeting spaces and a multi-purpose events and concert venue. Encompassing style, status and sophistication, The Statler features 219 luxury residences and 159 hotel rooms. Originally opening as the Statler Hilton in 1956, the hotel was a destination for the elite, attracting the world’s most distinguished dignitaries and celebrities. The Statler, part of Curio – A Collection by Hilton, is the iconic downtown Dallas experience. Visit the website at http://thestatlerdallas.com/